Overcome it and THRIVE
Treatment for health anxiety: serving Watford, St Albans, Bushey, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire & the surrounding areas.
What is Health Anxiety ?
It is quite natural to worry about our health from time to time, and some of us have to cope with some serious medical conditions, but for some people health worries can become overwhelming and therefore a problem in it’s own right.
Known as hypochondria, health anxiety is a disproportionate concern about your health, often to the point where it can cause considerable distress and affect your day to day life. Some sufferers with health anxiety have an existing medical condition that they overemphasise whereas others have medically unexplainable symptoms that they are concerned may be a precursor to a serious illness, regardless of the doctor’s reassurances.
Others may be fixated with their future health, leading them to ask questions such as ‘What if I get cancer ?’ or ‘How will I cope if I get heart disease ?’
Types of health anxiety
People with health anxiety can fall into one of two quite opposing extremes:
- Constantly seeking information and reassurance – for example, obsessively researching illnesses from the internet, booking frequent GP appointments, and having frequent tests that don’t find any problems.
- Avoidance behaviour – avoiding medical TV programmes, GP appointments and anything else that might trigger the anxiety, and avoiding activities such as exercise that are perceived to make the condition worse.
Neither of these behaviours are helpful, both perpetuating the notion that there is something to be anxious about, and need addressing if a sufferer is to disrupt the vicious cycle of health anxiety.
The health anxiety cycle
If you frequently check your body for signs of being unwell, such as a bump, rash or symptom, you will invariably find something. It very likely won’t be anything serious, possibly a natural subtle body change, or you could simply be misrepresenting signs of anxiety as symptoms of a more serious condition. You could then create anxiety over your ‘find’ and thus check yourself even more.
You may possibly seek reassurance from doctors, family or friends, bringing a short lived comfort which in turn will necessitate further comfort thereafter.
Have I got health anxiety?
If you can answer “yes” to most of the following questions, it is possible that you could have health anxiety and should read on…
During the past six months:
- Have you been overly preoccupied with having a serious illness because of body symptoms, which has lasted at least six months?
- Have you felt troubled as a result of this preoccupation?
- Have you found that this preoccupation impacts negatively on other areas of your life, such as family, social and worklife?
- Have you felt the need to carry out frequent self-examination and self-diagnosis?
- Have you experienced mistrust over a doctors diagnosis, or felt you are unconvinced by their reassurances that you are fine?
- Do you constantly seek reassurance from others that you are fine, even if you don’t really believe what you are being told?
Help for Health Anxiety
If you suffer from health anxiety The Thrive Programme is entirely about you ! It is a revolutionary and highly effective training programme which will teach you to understand how to grasp control of the beliefs, thoughts and emotions that maintain the anxiety.
The Thrive Programme can help you completely change the way you think and feel about yourself, enabling you to overcome your concerns regarding your health in just six weekly sessions.
When you absolutely understand how your mind operates, such as the interaction between your thinking, beliefs, personality and feelings, you will feel much more empowered and in control. When you recognise that almost all of your worries, stresses, problems and symptoms are either created, maintained or worsened by poorly managed thinking, you will feel fabulously empowered……..because YOU created these problems then YOU can change them !
This course of treatment does not contain any myths, magic or mumbo-jumbo. It is simply an empowering and liberating psychological training programme, created with proven scientific research. With your input, it will allow you to overcome your anxiety and regain your freedom. You will find that it is much easier and faster than you ever believed to take control and get the life you desire!
Booking your free initial consultation couldn’t be easier.
It is perfectly natural that you may have questions about The Thrive Programme or Applied Positive Hypnotherapy and what it entails. To arrange a free consultation or to book an appointment call my Aylesbury Clinic on 01296 583789 or my mobile on 07789 600 199.
If I’m with a client, you can leave a confidential message on my answerphone and I will return your call as soon as possible.
Alternatively, you can email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org